POSITION TITLE: Asset Manager
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Management
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Property Manager
The Asset Manager is responsible for managing and supervising all site-level property management activities, budgetary and physical property assets related to the multifamily housing complexes managed by Fulson Asset Management Company. Applicant must effectively communicate and exemplify the mission of the company, while inspiring site-employees to join in the effort to achieve success.
- Hold Property Manager accountable for rent collection process
- Ensure tenant reminder notices are delivered on dates directed by Community Rules
- Monitor rent collections through software system
- Enter annual rent increase requests into AMRS software
Housing Assistance Payments / Rent Increases
- Ensure Property Manager is processing annual and interim recertifications in timely manner
- Ensure HAP Request is transmitted by 10th of the month
- Ensure RD “HAP” Worksheet is approved by 25th of the month
- Submit HAP Contract Renewals 120-days prior to expiration date
- Confirm RD Budget + Rent Increase submission by deadline
- Submit non-Section 8 rent increases by deadline
- Responsible for maintaining occupancy
- 90% for ≤ 40 units
- 95% for ≥ 40 units
- Document concerted efforts to lease when below acceptable occupancy
- Ensure Property Manager is maintaining waitlist in software system
- Existing waitlist should equal 10% of unit count
- Purge waitlist in August
- Ensure Property Manager is processing waitlist
- Receiving Applications: Incoming Applications to be reviewed for completeness within 24 hours
- Advertising (adhering to AFHMP)
- Submitting complete and timely New Applicant files to Compliance for review
- Responding to items needed by Compliance for approval
- Ensure vacant unit is leased within 45 days
- Report monthly occupancy to Owner
- Review costs
- Determine most cost-effective options
- Review and approve Purchase Orders
- Manage vendor contracts
- Coordinate with Accounting to review and approve bill summaries before checks are issued
- Create annual budget in software system for the upcoming fiscal year
Inspect property regularly
- Walk full property each quarter at site visit
- Discuss and inspect issues relative to the physical condition with Property Manager
- Evaluate Property Manager compliance with entire EIV System Security Policy
- Provide tenant file auditing
Responsible for the physical condition of the property
- Ensure Property Manager handles the regular property maintenance issues
- Ensure Property Manager is holding Maintenance staff accountable for timely Work Orders and quality craftsmanship and maintaining Work Order status
Responsible for implementation of FMC policies and procedures
Ensure vacant unit is in make-ready condition within 7 days of move-out
Prepare for and be responsible for success/failure of inspections (MHDC, Investor, REAC)
- Full walkthrough 30 days prior to inspection
- Follow-up on inspection repair notes/findings
- ≤ 24 hours for Health & Safety
- ≤ 30 calendar days for all non-Health & Safety
Manage Replacement Reserve requests
Manage Insurance claims
Train and equip Property Managers to effectively manage their core responsibilities
Develop Property Managers’ understanding of Fair Housing Act principles and importance of adhering to policies designed to protect applicants, residents, employees and owners
Support and serve site staff through regular property visits and frequent communication
- Provide decision-making based on property needs, budgetary constraints and established FMC policies and procedure
- Respond to emergencies
- Resolve site staffing need
- Provide on-going property staff development
Maintain regular communication with Property Manager between site visits
Maintain accountability and disciplinary standards
- Manage and coordinate any disciplinary action through HR
- Maintain record of disciplinary action with HR
Ensure adherence to Employee Manual
Conduct employee evaluations each September
- Review property staff annual Employee Reviews conducted by Property Manager
- Provide annual Employee Evaluation of Property Manager
Conduct individual discussions regularly with each property staff member regarding issues or concerns
Investigate complaints, determine appropriate action and present plan to Director of Management
Demonstrate and expect excellent customer service skills
Responsible to make measured and impactful hires for the Property Manager position resulting in minimal turnover rate
Monitor Petty Cash Vouchers and reconcile at least monthly
Monitor and approve Security Deposit Reconciliations
- Ensure completion within specific timeframe (7-days after move-out)
Develop and maintain schedule of charges for tenant damages
Monitor and approve property Expense Reports
Approve Payment Agreements
Respond to rejected Applicant disputes within 5 calendar days
Ensure adherence to Grievance Procedure
Schedule Resident Meetings, as needed
- Encourage communication with Management
- Allow Residents to voice concerns and/or ask questions
- Allow staff to explain policy and/or procedures
Meet with local authorities and government officials to deal with crime or other issues
Develop and execute FMC annual training events
Prepare & present Management-related material (reports, instructional guides, etc.)
Other duties as may be assigned
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: College Degree with emphasis in Accounting, Business Management and/or English strongly preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of property management and accounting principles
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Prefer at least 3 years of experience in property management, construction, and/or development experience. Prefer at least 3 years of experience in developing and managing budgets.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Customer service skills, communication skills, multi-tasking, attention to detail, organization, telephone skills, data entry, accounting, finance, flexibility, ability to work under deadlines to meet goals
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
TALKING: Ability to speak effectively and communicate clearly
AVERAGE HEARING: Able to hear average conversations
REPETITIVE MOTION: The employee is regularly required to sit and type continuously throughout the day, and walk entire interior and exterior of properties
FINGER DEXTERITY: The employee is regularly required to use hands to type and drive.
AVERAGE VISION: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
TRAVEL: The employee must have the ability to drive and/or ride to properties in other locations. Routine overnight stays are required.
General office environment. Quiet surroundings. Adequate lighting. May also work outdoors at site properties which may expose them to weather extremes.
MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to deal with a variety of variables under only limited standardization.
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using
whole numbers and common fractions.
LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret work-related documents. Ability to communicate clearly.
INTENT AND FUNCTION OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well-constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive.
Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.